Assistant Mobile News Editor | The Wall Street Journal
New York (November 2015 - Present)
- Helped launch The Wall Street Journal’s first-ever mobile-only product, What’s News.
- Edit stories for What’s News, reworking reporter copy, writing headlines and cropping images.
- Design custom motion graphics to add context or break down key numbers visually.
- Write the Evening Wrap, an in-app newsletter we send to all users every weeknight
- Write and send breaking-news push alerts to our users.
- Select need-to-know stories to feature, with a focus on business news.
Videographer, Editor | Freelance
- Shot and edited multiple fashion-focused videos for lifestyle blog You & Lu.
- With a small team, filmed and edited a series of wedding videos.
- Coordinated with clients and my team to produce videos for a variety of platforms, including social channels.
Executive Producer, Lead UI Designer | Newsy
Los Angeles & Columbia, Mo. (August 2011 - October 2014)
- Wrote, filmed and edited video news pieces for Newsy's main brand with an emphasis on tech.
- Designed custom motion graphics to brand videos and enhance stories.
- Produce original content for partner site, Mashable.
- Work with other content partners to create original franchises and videos tailored to their brand.
- Designed an all-new version of our iOS app.
- Created unique iOS app used to successfully pitch new clients.
Cofounder, Executive Editor | Project 573
Columbia, Mo. (August 2010 - May 2011)
- Recruited and led a a team of 11 reporters for a yearlong, multimedia project.
- Filmed and edited documentary-style stories focusing on unemployment.
- Designed the project's website, The American Response.
- Convinced the dean of the School of Journalism to approve the project with an $8,000 equipment budget.
- Managed the project and organized class work around it.
Reporter, Coach | Columbia Missourian
Columbia, Mo. (May 2009 - December 2009)
- Produced award-winning, five-part video series for the paper's website.
- Taught my peers how to shoot and edit video.
- Wrote stories and produced web video as an arts beat reporter.
Web Design Intern | Media Policy Center
Los Angeles (May 2011 - August 2011)
Worked with a pair of documentary filmmakers to concept and pitch a new film project. Created a temporary website to help them seek further funding.
UI Designer | Hearst Innovation
Columbia, Mo. (January 2009 - May 2011)
Collaborated with two separate teams of journalists and developers to design an Android and web application for Hearst Innovation. Successfully pitched both to Hearst executives.
Design Intern | idfx magazine
London (May 2010 - August 2010)
Joined a small magazine team to research, write and layout feature spreads. Filmed and edited a video for its annual interior design award show.
- Video Production: Final Cut Pro X/7
- Graphics: Motion, Adobe After Effects
- Design: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
- Web: Squarespace, Wordpress
- Video: Canon DSLRs (Mark III, Mark II, 60D)
- Audio: Wireless and Lav mics, Zoom H4N
University of Missouri | School of Journalism
Columbia, Mo. (Graduated 2011)
- Degree: Bachelor of Journalism in Magazine
- Minor: Film Studies
For references and additional information, please email me at email@example.com.